Elder John Miller

Elder John Miller

Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 22, Cooks Inlet YSA, Anchorage


This week has been pretty interesting. It was filled with ups and
downs and all arounds like any good story should. Today though, is a
sad day. My best mission friend, Elder Reading, my last companion, is
getting sent home today. He flew out this morning actually. He didn't
do anything wrong, but his companion did, and as a missionary anything
your companion does is on you too. He's doing good, but I'm sure he
could use some prayers.

Tuesday was the best day of my mission. We had a zone conference
because we had Elder Daniel Johnson of the Seventy came up. So it was
our zone combined with the North Anchorage zone cramped into a room
getting wrecked with spiritual knowledge. It was pretty awesome. I
learned a lot from that. Then we taught three member present lessons
and two less active members who actually came to church on Sunday. We
were rolling that day. It was the best.

Then Wednesday happened. Wednesday was rough. We pushed through all
our plans for the day by 2 o'clock so we tracked for hours. I've
actually come to really enjoy tracting. You meet all sorts of
interesting people. But no one was interested. Then that night we
ended up teaching two lessons which made the day feel worth it. They
both came to church Sunday as well. Apparently, this ward has a lot of
reactivation to do.

Then Thursday we again tracted all day. It makes for long days when
all you see is closed doors. But it was fun because we met some really
crazy people. Worth it. Then we again taught two lessons that night.
There's something about teaching two lessons every night this week.
Patterns are funny.

Friday we went on exchanges. I went to the Sand Lake ward with Elder
Loften. He's my district leader, but he was also in my first district
up in Fairbanks. I thought it was funny I got to go on exchange with
him again. We had really good enchiladas that night for dinner. It was
great. We didn't get much done because Elder Loften was sick and they
have almost no work in there area, but it was nice to work in a family
ward again for a little bit. I love the YSA, but it gets tiring to not
hear screaming children all the time. What's wrong with me?

Saturday morning I had to go to a leadership thing with the zone
leaders and district leaders in our zone. So it was just me and a
bunch of high powered missionaries. It was intimidating, but I
definitely learned a lot from them. I love the guys here. They're the
best people. Elder Bradshaw is one of the zone leaders and he's like a
more manly, better looking version of Tate. And he's nicer. I don't
even think that's possible, but that's what he is. So I got to hang
out with them at a meeting. Then we exchanged back and tracted more. I
think we did 12 hours of tracting this week. Oofta.

Then Sunday was ward conference. No one told us that ward council was
cancelled so we showed up to church two hours early. So we listened to
a bunch of general conference talks before going out and trying to
teach a lesson. Then at church we had 7 less active members and
Rhiannon. It was awesome. Everyone was feeling it because all the
talks were sweet, then we had a great priesthood meeting. Then we had
a much and mingle after church and ate nachos. Then we taught two
lessons. What the heck!

So this week was rough. But it was also really good. The funny thing
about missionary work is that it's easy to see the bad and the good,
you just got to pick which one to focus on. So I try and focus on the
good. It usually ends better that way. Alright, that's the update. Try
not to die on all that "ice" back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.